Friday, February 8, 2013

Head Over Heels DIY Friday: Table Linens to Decorative Pillows

Hooray for Friday!  My DIY this week is a quickie (post-wise and project-wise).  On a random Target trip I found this placemat and table runner on clearance.  The woodgrain pattern was textured, either velvet or flocked.  I didn't really have a use for them in our dining room but loved the design.  Then I got a fantastic idea!


Since the placemat and runner were backed with another fabric I thought I could simply open the seam on one of the edges and fill them with batting to make some pillows.  Sure enough, it worked!  I ended up cutting the runner in half to turn it into two pillows that would match the placemat size.  But it was so easy, the last step was just sewing the closure closed (which can be done on a machine or by hand).

I know it probably sounds a bit nutty to turn table linens into decor pillows, but I think it turned out to be a nice set to freshen up our living room!

Would you have done it too?  Are you Head Over Heels for the pillows or the project?



Sorry I have been short on posts lately, I will try to stay busy over the weekend with this blizzard thing on it's way.  I imagine Alex and I will be cooped up in the house, anyone else too?  Ugh, the doldrums of winter.  Have a great weekend!

8 comments:

  1. I love placemat pillows--especially clearance ones! I'm currently in the middle of a MASSIVE pillow-making project--but man can they change the look of a room! I love how impactful they can be. The pattern you used is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brittany! They are in my living room now, but I already want to get or make some more new ones to change up the look even more in our living room. You are right, they do so much!

      Delete
  2. Fantastic Idea!!! I love digging through the table linens. I've made tote bags from many fun decorative ones over the years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! I would never have thought to turn a table runner or a placemat into pillows! I will have to keep this in mind!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should! They were so easy to make and I know I always come across cute table linens but rarely need new ones all the time.

      Delete
  4. What a great idea!! I can sew, but man do I love a good short cut!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, me too!!! Shortcuts when it comes to sewing make projects feel super rewarding in a small amount of time, love that!

      Delete
  5. That is really a interesting and amazing share. I will sew some table linens cloths to feather pillows for my bedroom.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! What's on your mind?